Chilli Con Carne is one of my all-time favorite dishes, especially in winter. This venison version is a great way to utilize your mince and is even better in the following days as you reheat it. It’s rich, hearty, and spicy and goes great with crusty bread, rice, or on nachos!
You will need the following ingredients:
- 500g Venison Mince
- 2 Red Capsicums (You could sub one out for an onion)
- 1-2 Tsp Minced Garlic
- 1.5 Tsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tsp Ground Coriander
- 1 Tsp Coconut Sugar
- Fresh or Dried Chillis – to your liking
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1.5 Tbsp HP Sauce
- 1 Can Watties Mexican Tomatoes
- 1 Can Watties Hot Chilli Beans
- 3 Squares Dark Chocolate
- 1/3 Can Beer (Use a Lager or Darker Stout)
To make the dish follow these simple steps:
- In a hot dish fry your capsicums until soft
- Add the mince and brown
- Add the garlic, cumin, paprika, coriander, cinnamon, chillis and stir through
- Add the beer and let it cook off for a minute
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, HP sauce, chocolate, coconut sugar, tomatoes and beans
- Mix everything together to combine
- Turn heat down and cover to simmer on low for at least two hours
I served mine topped with coconut greek-style yogurt, dried chilli, and fresh coriander. You could also use sour cream and cheese.
Prefer the slow cooker?
Another way to prepare this dish is in the slow cooker. Simply brown your mince in a pan and transfer it to your slow cooker with all other ingredients – let it go all day on low.