I decided to expand my love of raw fish and try it out with some venison eye fillet. I’m not sure how traditional this is but it’s the flavors I like and I reckon it’s awesome!
First, coat your fillet in olive oil, salt, and pepper and sear in a smoking hot pan for 5-10 seconds on each side. I just rotated mine every 10 seconds until the whole fillet was sealed. Then roll up tightly in glad wrap and put it in the freezer for 30-60mins.
While the meat is cooling get the following ready to dress the dish:
- Hard Cheese (I used Parmigiano-Reggiano)
- Pickled Radish (I sliced it and sat it in ACV for 30mins)
- Pickled Red Onion (Same as above)
- Pickled Garlic Cloves (I brought these in a jar)
- Crispy Capers (I fried these for a couple of minutes)
- Drizzle of Olive Oil
- Drizzle of Balsamic Vinegar
Once your meat is chilled and firm, get a bloody sharp knife and slice it thinly, arrange on a plate, and top with the above ingredients.
The meat is from the spiker I shot last weekend, and it really was like butter! Softer even. I reckon this could go well with a back strap too if you cut it super thin!