Rum and Maple Smoked Kingfish / Smoked Fish, Leek and Blue Cheese Pizza.
To smoke the fish:
- Liberally salt fish then give it a coating of maple syrup
- Seal in a container in the fridge for a day or two
- Wipe excess moisture off fish
- Let air dry until tacky (about three hours)
- Paint on a layer of spiced rum (have a shot yourself)
- I smoked this lot in a Weber Q for around 20mins and I’m really happy with it.
To make the pizza:
- Mix together cream cheese, dill and a little amount of lemon juice
- Add to the base as a sauce (I wanted to make a base but the supermarket had no flour. I brought some sprouted seed ones as it’s all they had)
- Top cream cheese base sauce with smoked fish
- Add crumbled blue cheese
- Add finely sliced leek
- Add chopped spinach
- Add mozzarella
- Add lemon zest
- I cooked this in a very hot bbq for around 18mins
- Finish with some rocket and S+P
The smoked fish turned out awesome in the Weber, I used the Q2200 and the smoking kit. It took a while to get it smoking but when it did it WENT, in fact, I had a little fire. The fish was really moist and flavourful. Thanks for all the tips on using the Maple Syrup – I don’t think I’d go back to using sugar now. I’d like to try a lower heat for a longer time next round.