From field to plate in under 24 hours. You will need:
- Rice bran (for frying)
- 1kg quartered rabbit (although this recipe can be used for most types of game meat)
- 50g butter or 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano leaves (or use 1 tbsp dried)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary or thyme
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 2 anchovy fillets, minced
- 1 ¼ cups red wine (or use extra stock)
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
Flour and brown quartered rabbit pieces and set aside.
Brown onion and garlic (and some bacon if you want some extra moisture content with lean game meat).
Add all ingredients into a slow cooker, (ensure stock/wine nearly covers everything)Cook rabbit until meat is falling off the bone.
Remove the rabbit meat and continue to cook other ingredients with the lid off until sauce thickens to a consistency you like.
Return rabbit meat to heat through and serve with mashed potato or pappardelle pasta.
Visit Clayton on Instagram.