I finally managed to get a spear in a half-decent snapper yesterday. It came in at 3.4kg, so not a monster, but after a few years of trying it’s substantially bigger than the few others I’ve shot. I found this guy sitting down a ledge in a very shallow spot I was browsing for crayfish.
In an effort to start using more of my fish I decided it was time to start making stocks.
For this one, I used the snapper head and frame, a koheru head, two onions, two lemons, a leek, three stalks of celery with the leaves, half a bunch of parsley, the bay leaves, a teaspoon of black peppercorns, and about 2l of water.
I put everything in a big pot and put it on to boil for 40mins (not an aggressive boil). After 12min I took the snapper head out and took the jaw and all the edible meat out (so good) then put the rest back in the pot.
When the 40mins was up I strained it through two layers of chux cloth. The result is awesome! I added a little salt (I hadn’t put any in as I wasn’t sure how salty it would be) then let it cool and divided it into 500ml containers for freezing.